One day as I was perusing the internet I came across an invaluable skin care tip. Someone had posted on a thread about the makeup removing power of COCONUT OIL. Of all things it could be used for and to think it would be an incredible makeup remover. Needless to say though, I was a bit skeptic. I had never heard of coconut oil being a makeup remover and wondered at how that would work. So today after I came home, I decided to test it out. Now, being an oily acne-prone sensitive skin person I was NOT going to apply that oil directly to my entire face. So I opted to just do my eye area. So I dabbed a bit onto a tissue and then swiped at my eyelid. Holy…sh*t. I was not expecting EVERYTHING to come off. Here’s everything that came off with just a tiny bit of coconut oil on a tissue. I was thoroughly surprised. I never expected it to do such an amazing job at taking off ALL of my eye makeup, including my eyeliner. It really blew my mind, honestly I just kept saying OMG over and over again LOL. And of course I thought of sharing it with you guys because this is a skincare tip that cannot be kept secret. Of course there are tons of other benefits of coconut oil, such as moisturizing especially when used on your hair. I always use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner in my hair and it really kept my curly hair hydrated, even when I straightened it.
Now the coconut oil that I used is all natural virgin coconut oil, with no added chemicals or fragrances, straight from the tropics. So, the smell might be a tad bit off putting but the benefits are amazing. Now coconut oil is solid at room temperature, which is a good thing because I happen to think that less is used than if you were to have it in the liquid form. Needless to say; this is a very hydrating oil so less is definitely more. You do not need a handful to put into your hair or to remove your makeup. Now what are some other benefits of coconut oil?
1. Intake of coconut oil can help our bodies develop resistance to viruses and bacteria that cause illnesses. Coconut oil contains lauric acid and our bodies convert lauric acid into monolaurin, a monoglyceride that has antibacterial and anti-microbial purposes, which is claimed to help defend against viruses and bacteria that cause infections and diseases such as the flu, herpes, cytomegalovirus, and more.
2. It can help improve thyroid function to boost metabolism.
3. You can opt to use coconut oil to cook with instead of vegetable oil. Coconut oil is a healthy saturated fat, nearly 50% of it’s saturated fat is found in lauric acid, which mentioned above, can do wonders for your immune system. Coconut oil also contains Medium Chain Fatty Acids, which when opposed to the Long Chain Fatty Acids of vegetable oil or seed oils, is easier to break down by our bodies. MCFAs helps your body use fat for energy, as opposed to storing it; which helps you control your weight.
4. Coconut oil is also good for your heart. The type of fats that typical caused cardiovascular diseases are unsaturated, as opposed to saturated. Coconut oil can reduce your cholesterol levels, therefore reducing your risk for heart disease.
5. When used as a cooking oil, it helps to improve digestive health by aiding in digestion therefore helping ease stomach and digestive problems such as IBS and indigestion.
6. Coconut oil is also very effective on yeast and fungi infections when applied directly to the area. It is also very effective in healing bruises because it helps to speed up the healing process of the damaged tissues.
7. Coconut oil helps prevent tooth decay and osteoporosis because it facilitates the absorption of calcium and magnesium (and many other minerals, vitamins and amino acids) by the body.
8*. There have been many studies done that show coconut oil helps in treating or reversing the effects of Alzheimer’s disease, though the reason is unknown. If you are interested you can definitely check it out on Google.
1. Coconut oil helps to moisturize hair and promote healthy hair growth. It helps to reduce protein loss by damaged and undamaged hair. It has been well known in India, that coconut oil is incredibly good for your hair and it is still used on the Indian subcontinent as a major beauty treatment.
2. Coconut oil can be applied topically to your skin to hydrate dry patches such as elbows and knees and heels or just all over as a moisturizer. If you’re thinking that applying an oil will make you feel greasy, don’t worry, coconut oil is easily absorbed by your skin.
3. It has anti-aging properties. Coconut oil contains many anti-oxidants which help combat the harmful effects of the sun and when coupled with its moisturizing properties, can help prevent premature aging such as wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
4. It also helps in treating skin problems such as eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, and other skin problems. I don’t know if it is anti-comedogenic and would help in treating acne however.
5. And of course, it is the best makeup remover that I have ever tried. Not only is it gentle to use on eyes and near the eyeball, it is very moisturizer and so my skin doesn’t feel pulled, or dry afterwards. I would suggest however that if you’re going to use it to remove makeup on your entire face, that you do cleanse afterwards to get rid of the excess oils.
Has anyone tried coconut oil for any of the purposes above? What are some of your thoughts on it? 🙂